REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN
A TEXAS LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN
AS OF DECEMBER, 2015
A Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) may usually be issued to a person
who meets the following requirements:
* Is a legal resident of any State and has a valid driver's license from that State.
* Is at least 21 years of age. ARMED FORCES EXCEPTION: Active duty or honorably discharged United States Armed Forces veterans may apply at age 18. (NOTE: this military exemption does not override any federal law which presently prevents an 18-year-old from buying a handgun or ammunition, and the 'underage' LTC is not recognized by some of the reciprocal states.)
3. FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:
*Has not been finally determined to be delinquent:
** In the payment of a taxes or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the State, or any agency or subdivision of the State;
** In making a child support payment administered or collected by an attorney general of any State; and/or
4. CRIMINAL HISTORY:
* Has not ever been convicted of felony crime, even if discharged by a deferred adjudication.
* Has not been convicted of a Class A or B misdemeanor of Disorderly Conduct in the 5 years preceding the date of the LTC application.
* Has not been twice or more convicted of a Class A or B misdemeanor for drug or alcohol related offenses in the 10 years preceding the application date for a CHL. (Note: This also includes convictions when applicant was juvenile.)
* Is not currently charged with a class A or B misdemeanor or an offense of Disorderly Conduct, or under information or indictment for a felony.
* Is not a fugitive from justice for a Class A or B misdemeanor or felony.
* Is not currently restricted under a Court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely affecting property interests.
5. MEDICAL AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE HISTORY:
* Is not chemically dependent (Note: 3 DWI/DUI convictions in a 10 year period is prima facie evidence of chemical dependency.)
* Is a person of sound mind and judgment.
6. FEDERAL LAW COMPLIANCE:
* Fully eligible under the Federal Brady Act and Texas State law to purchase a hand gun.
7. MATERIAL FACTS:
* Has not made any material misrepresentations, or failed to disclose any material facts on the application or request for an application.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, contact the Texas Department of Public Safety LTC Information Page